Postdoctoral researcher on ‘Jongeren, sociale media en politieke participatie’
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences – Amsterdam School of Communication Research
- 12 oktober 2017
- €3,475 to €4,757 gross per month
- 8 november 2017
- 38 hours per week
As part of the Dutch National Science Agenda, we are launching a project on social media, youth and political participation. The project is a collaboration between the University of Amsterdam (Prof. De Vreese & Prof. Vliegenthart), Utrecht University (Prof van Dijck), University of Groningen (Prof. Broersma), Blendle, and ProDemos. The postdoctoral researcher will hosted at the Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR) at the University of Amsterdam (UvA). ASCoR is the research institute in communication Science at the UvA. It is the largest research institute of its kind in Europe and is among the largest worldwide. More than 50 senior researchers are permanently associated with ASCoR, and its English-language PhD program has more than 40 students.
The project aims at documenting the use of news (via social media platforms) by young people and how this media use relates to a wide variety of forms of political participation. The postdoc will work with existing quantitative and qualitative data set (available from Blendle and University of Groningen), and collect new data in collaboration with ProDemos.
- Conduct quantitative analysis of news consumption patterns;
- work with qualitative data on youth news consumption;
- develop and implement large scale survey on youth news use and political participation;
- develop scientific publications;
- develop impact publications for a broad audience;
- co-organise a conference on the topic;
- teach in the bachelor’s and/or master programme of Communication Science.
The project lasts 12 to 18 months, depending on the postdoc. Candidates for this position should have considerable academic experience at the PhD-level in working with quantitative survey data and preferably social media.
In addition, a successful candidate should have:
- a PhD degree in communication or related science;
- knowledge and experience with survey research and advanced data analysis;
- knowledge about communication science theories, and preferably about social media;
- outstanding organizational skills;
- excellent oral and written communication skills;
- fluency in Dutch (writing and speaking).
We specifically encourage assistant professors and university lecturers to apply to the position which can possibly be combined with an ongoing appointment.
A detailed project description may be obtained from:
Questions about the project content should be addressed to:
Questions about the application procedure and other general questions should be addressed to:
- Ms. Miriam van der Putte at the ASCoR Secretariat
The appointment will be on a temporary basis for a period of 1 to 1,5 years pending full-time or part-time employment. Based on a full-time appointment (38 hours per week) the gross monthly salary will range from €3,475 to €4,757 (scale 11) depending on expertise and previous experience. The salary is supplemented with a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8,3%. The Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) for Dutch Universities is applicable.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 8 November 2017. To process your application, please quote vacancy number 17-501 and the title of the position you are applying for in the subject-line. Please send the following documents in English by e-mail to email@example.com:
- a motivation letter. Please clearly indicate the position you apply for;
- a curriculum vitae and publication list;
- proof of your PhD degree. If you have not completed your degree at the time of application, please provide a statement from your supervisor confirming the expected date of completion of your degree;
- an academic writing sample in English (e.g., journal article, PhD dissertation).
- the names and contact addresses of two academic references from which information about the candidate can be obtained
Please send all your documents in PDF format in one PDF file. Only complete applications will be considered. #LI-DNP
No agencies please