Literature and Education (Literary Studies)
The Master's programme Literature and Education is designed for students who wish to pursue advanced studies in one of the major European languages from an acquisitional, pragmatic, and educational perspective. It provides you with knowledge and skills in the fields of institutional language learning and cultural education, and prepares you for enrolment in a grade-one teacher qualification programme.
Literature in an educational context
For centuries, literature has played – and continues to play – an important role in our understanding of what it means to be educated: literature is often associated with intellectual training and skills, Bildung, and (global) citizenship. The programme Literature and Education focuses on the practical and conceptual ties between literature and education by addressing questions such as: How does one ‘teach’ literature? What is it that literature teaches us? And how can literature be used in the educational system?
Specialising in a language and literature of your choice
The Master's programme Literature and Education responds to educational needs in our contemporary multilingual society, where specialised knowledge of more than one culture or language is increasingly important. You will study how people learn languages and orient themselves as (global) cultural citizens. You will take classes in both literature and linguistics in your language of specialisation, and approach the relation between literature and education from a scientific as well as pragmatic perspective.
We offer specialisations in the following languages and literatures:
Why study Literature and Education at the University of Amsterdam?
- Amsterdam is an international urban hub with a lively literary culture. Drawing inspiration from these surroundings, you’ll benefit from our connections to and partnerships with educational institutions, publishers, theatres, poetry stages, museums, bookstores, and much more.
- A career-oriented programme that prepares you for a job in education through courses such as 'Cultural Literacies' and 'L2 in the Classroom' that help you explore how literature can be mobilised for educative purposes. Learn more at: Study Programme.
- Internship: Develop transferable skills and see what it’s like to work in education by doing an internship as part of your thesis trajectory.
- Language specialisation: Specialise in one of the seven major European languages and literatures the UvA has to offer.
- Strong ties with the Teacher Training programme: once you complete your specialisation, you can apply to the Graduate School of Child Development and Education’s post-Master teacher training programme in order to obtain a grade-one teacher qualification in the language of your choice.
- Diverse cultural partners including Perdu, De Balie, Goethe Institut, Cervantes Institute, Research Centre for Material Culture/Museum of World Cultures, Spui25, Stedelijk Museum, and many more.
Literature and Education is an accredited degree programme of Literary Studies. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Master’s degree in Literary Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
- MA Literary Studies
- Voltijd, deeltijd
- 60 EC, 12 maanden
- Engels, Taal van de opleiding